Everyone enjoys being celebrated when they do something extraordinary.
Our students are no different.
Adding classroom rewards into your management system is a way to keep students engaged and excited to follow expectations.
But how many of you are tired of constantly filling up a “treasure box” with little trinkets your students end up losing?
One of the best pieces of advice I received from a veteran teacher was reward ideas that didn’t cost me a penny.
And, honestly, I find students enjoy these options just as much (if not more) than the little trinkets you can find.
The Ultimate Classroom Rewards List
- Extra Recess – trust me, this classic NEVER gets old!
- Movie Day
- Movie Day WITH POPCORN!!
- Class Game Time – bring out the board games & card games, and invite students to bring in their favorite game from home. (It’s also a great way to secretly have your students practice lots of other skills!)
- Lunch in the Classroom – I have never fully understood this….but they LOVE it
- PJ Day
- Play a Kahoot / Blooket – if you haven’t tried bringing these into your classroom yet, you need to!
- No shoes in class
- Class Dance Party
- Hot Chocolate Party
- Bring in a stuffed animal for the day
- Extra computer time – I generally give my students a list of options when it comes to websites or apps they can use during this time
- Extra drawing / coloring time
- Draw on whiteboards with Expo Markers
- Choose the class Go-Noodle
- Pick a song to play for the class
- Listen to music during independent work time
- Choose a directed drawing for the class – This account does a GREAT job!
- Choose the read-aloud for the day
- Sit in the teacher’s chair for a day
- Show and Tell
- Positive note home
- Lunch with the teacher & a friend.
- Sit by a friend for the day – as a note…I would still have some pretty serious expectations in place for this reward
- Homework pass
- Use a teacher’s pen for the day
- Teach the class
- Use a whiteboard for an assignment instead of paper
- Sit in a special seat
- Have class outside
- Be the teacher’s assistant / run errands
- Take a virtual field trip
- Positive phone call home
- Wear slippers
- Hat day
- Escape Rooms
- Minute to win it games
- Choose your partner or group
- Chat break for the class
- Class kickball game
As you get to know your students better, don’t be afraid to add them to your list! Creating customized rewards is a GREAT way to show your students you care about them, know them, and want them to earn these rewards.
No matter how you choose to have students collect points or earn chances to win these incentives, having some class-wide and individual classroom rewards to work towards can help your management style.
Because just like us, kids love being rewarded and recognized for excellence. Whatever that looks like in your classroom.